By Kamogelo Moloi
This article can also be found in the print Edition 2 of VARSITY Newspaper.
With technological developments and upgrades in social media, approaching a person face-to-face has been disregarded. Especially with social media making communication quicker and more convenient, giving us a space that is inclusive of people of every calibre, a place where love is spiralled, friendships are built, families connect and where even important appointments and deadlines are met, we slightly tend to ignore our virtues and etiquettes when sliding into the DM.
For the purpose of information, I decided to compile a list of DOs and DON’Ts when sliding down into the DM’s in order to best avoid being blocked, embarrassed publicly or even reported:
1. Don’t give one-word syllable greetings to people you haven’t acquainted yet. As you are most probably a total stranger to those recipients, it might totally help if you could drop an introduction, give your name or something they can relate to you with.
2. Do avoid weird or sexual messages before familiarising yourself with the person. This might give out the wrong impression about you but, if that really was your intention, please stop.
3. Do familiarise yourself with the meaning of your emoji’s. Emoji’s are a cool way of executing jokes or puns. With their intended use, conversations can be alive and fun but it might be best to just avoid them when communicating at a professional level i.e. with your colleagues or elders.
4. Don’t creep onto someone, stalk or hound them, and don’t give them the impression that you’re forcing yourself onto them. It’s best to accept the decision of them not wanting to talk to you.
5. Do have a good sense of humour. Funny conversations are legit and friendly vibes are a good way to start conversations. You don’t want to engage in an all serious conversation.
6. Don’t pretend or portray yourself to be someone you are not. Honesty is a good ground on building relations. Bernard M. quotes: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind”. With these few gems, you are ready to hit it up on the DM.