By Shaunté Finnish
This article is exclusive to the Online Edition 7 of VARSITY News.
This chocolate treat is bound to warm up your winter and make everything a bit better!
Makes ±40 cookies | Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time ± 12 minutes | Total Time ± 30 minutes
Can be found at any supermarket
125 g (1 cup) soft butter
125 ml white sugar
125 ml brown sugar (light brown)
2.5 ml vanilla essence
1 egg, lightly beaten
440 ml self-raising flour
2.5 ml salt
125 g (1 cup) chocolate drops or chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In bowl 1: lightly beat egg.
- In bowl 2: sift the flour.
- In bowl 3: cream together the butter, sugars and vanilla essence until combined.
- Fold in the egg and add sifted flour and salt into bowl 3. Mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate drops or chips and mix well.
- Roll 1-2 tablespoons (depending on how large you like your cookies) of dough at a time into balls.
- Place the balls onto the baking sheet, allowing about 2cm space between each ball for spreading (alternately, use a small cookie scoop to make your cookies).
- Bake in preheated oven for ± 12 minutes.
- Once baked, let them sit on the baking sheet for 2 min before removing to cooling rack.
- Serve with a hot beverage of your choice.
TIPS AND MORE
Add in chopped dried cranberries to cookie dough mix for a hint of tartness to contrast with sweetness of the chocolate chip cookies.